Health Services Programs & Partners
We have been providing provide quality, vital health care services to uninsured, low-income adult residents of Nassau County since 2005. Quickly recognizing the connection between diminished physical health and poor oral hygiene, we began offering dental services in 2007, and this program remains Nassau’s only low cost dental program of its kind.
In 2014, we expanded our medical and dental services, adding mental health services, vision and hearing screening, and chronic disease management. We strive to be a comprehensive medical home for adults in need in Nassau County, integrating primary and preventative medical care with dental, mental health and other health care services. We believe financial hardship is no longer a reason to be without quality health services.
If you need health services (or know someone who does), please click here.
If you want to help through financial contributions or as a Health Services volunteer, click here.
Community Partnerships are vital to our effectiveness. Read below to see how our supporters come together so that financial hardship is no longer a reason to be without quality healthcare in Nassau County.
Program : Comprehensive Medical Home
- Baptist Health Jacksonville
- Baptist Medical Center Nassau
- Florida Blue Foundation
- Florida Department of Health
- Vision Is Priceless
- C W Vision
- Speech and Hearing Center of Jacksonville
- Riverside Hospital Foundation
We secured funding and resources to implement a comprehensive medical-home approach for low-income adults, one that integrates primary and preventative medical care with dental care, mental health, and other health services. This expansion of patient care would not have happened without our many partners and volunteers.
- Baptist Medical Center Nassau and Baptist Health provide a strong foundation to ensure that uninsured adults in Nassau County have access to quality health care. Baptist Health has provided funding to support the expansion of health services, and Baptist Medical Center Nassau provides the services of a medical director. The Baptist Health system provides critical support by contributing lab services, x-rays, testing, mammograms, medications and other essential services to our patients.
- The Florida Blue Foundation awarded us a three-year grant, which will allow us to hire staff and pay for other start-up costs.
- Mental health services will be available onsite through a partnership with Starting Point Behavioral Health, and will include services specifically focused on women and girls, made possible by a grant from the Women’s Giving Alliance.
- Vision and hearing services will be added through partnerships with CW Vision, Vision Is Priceless, and the Jacksonville Speech and Hearing Center.
- Nutrition education will be integrated through on-site cooking classes in a new teaching kitchen, focusing initially on patients with diabetes and other chronic diseases.
- The Riverside Hospital Foundation is supporting critical health services staff.
Program : Mental/Behavioral Health
Recognizing the vital link between behavioral health and physical health, mental health and addiction counseling services are available for adults onsite at Barnabas. Through a grant from the Women’s Giving Alliance, additional services address the needs of women and girls, especially those who have experience trauma at some point in their lives.
Program : “Cooking Matters”
Partners : Florida Introduces Physical Activity & Nutrition to Youth (FLIPANY)
We have implemented a new cooking-based nutrition education program designed to teach low-income families how to prepare healthy, tasty meals on a limited budget. Professional chefs and nutrition educators volunteer their time and expertise to lead hands-on classes in our new teaching kitchen that show adults how to purchase and prepare nutritious foods in healthful, safe, and tasty ways. The program is designed in conjunction with our Health Services’ efforts in Chronic Disease Management for those patients with diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and related health issues. The goal of the program is to make sure adults have the knowledge, skills, and resources to prepare healthy meals for a lifetime.
Program : Nassau Cares
Partners : Specialty Medical Providers and Florida Department of Health
Nassau Cares is a network of medical specialists that provide critical services to uninsured Barnabas patients at little or no cost. These services include orthopedics, oncology, dermatology, cardiology, urology and others. Last year, these health care services were valued at more than $53,000.